View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default Talkin' BB with our heroes....tell us of your experiences ?

Posted By: Mark Evans

In 1973 or 1974, I had occasion to interview for a job with an Atlanta law firm. [I didn't get it.] The firm arranged for me (and the other candidates) to interview on the same day that Hank Aaron was scheduled for an appointment. [As I recall, the firm represented Aaron with regard to a promotional contract with Magnavox.] I met Hank and his wife in the firm's lobby. My memory is vague but I recall the Hammer as pretty reserved. His wife, on the other hand, a tv personality, was downright effervescent. Perhaps she saw the awe on my face.

In the late 70s, I shared an office (Washington, D.C.) with a fellow who was related by marriage to Dick Howser's wife. My colleague arranged for me and several other buddies to get tickets to a Yankee game in Baltimore. We sat behind home plate with those Yankee wives who had made the trip. Howser's wife, as I recall, was very friendly and pretty. "Stormy" Dent made quite an impression as well. After the game, we were invited to join the Yanks in their clubhouse. Again, my memory is vague, but I recall chatting with Dick Tidrow over a beer. The highlight of the trip was dinner with Howser (then third base coach) and his wife at a seafood restaurant the Yanks frequented in Baltimore. I can't remember too much (a theme of this post, I'm afraid) but I do recall my surprise at how candid Howser was in speaking to us strangers about the Yankee ballplayers. In particular, I recall him stating that Reggie was a total jerk, pretty much despised by the rest of the team, in part for his propensity to flash a wad of 100's whenever he got the chance.

Mark