View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 01:36 AM
Rolf Best

Default The official Mickey Mantle Pickup Thread. All Mick, all the time!

I just started collecting Mickey. It started with the 68 Super Stars card I had as a kid. This isn’t the same one. The original along with the rest of my collection was either lost or stolen, but I never forgot about it.

When I came back to the hobby at the end of 2018, it took about a year for me to realize I enjoyed collecting vintage.

I started with Willie Mays, because I also had some of his cards when I was a kid, and up to now have been chasing him, Hank Aaron, and Sandy Koufax.

I always thought Mantle’s cards would be too expensive but checking comps, they seem to be more affordable than I thought. These are lower-grade as I just really wanted the cards and don’t care as much about the grades, but I’ve been trying to get them as well-centered as possible. I don’t mind if they’re a little off though.

I’m not sure it’s the design alone that bothers me, but I will be looking for a Manager’s Dream in a higher grade.

My most recent pickup was the 67, but embarrassed to admit I overpaid about $100 for it. To be honest, I had spent much of that day trying to purchase a 58 Aaron on MySlabs which fell through, and being fatigued by hours of scouring eBay for a fairly priced card, I came across it but forgot to check comps before putting in my bid.

It was sitting around $230 with 2 hours left IIRC, and I thought I could snipe it for a little above that, but I went all in and ended up bidding what I assumed was the highest the card could be worth only to learn the previous bidder was willing to pay just as much for it, so no savings there…

I was a little upset at myself learning I could have gotten a 4-4.5 for what I paid if I just checked comps, but it was too late because I had already won the auction. Oh well.

I do like the card and am happy with how it looks, and since it’s a PC card I’m not worried about losing money on it, so it’s not that bad as long as I don’t keep doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DieMaus; 06-13-2022 at 02:05 AM.