View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Default Help on an old Joe DiMaggio pic

Several months ago I won several pages of an old baseball photo album on ebay. I just took a chance because it was so cheap. No pics. The ad just said old scrapbook

pages with several autographed baseball pictures. It mentioned Dimaggio and Brown, I think. A real shot in the dark. Turned out to be half a dozen really raggedy pages

with autographed newspaper and magazine clippings. A strange mix of players all long deceased. Each was dated 1941 or 1942. 13 autos: Joe Dimaggio, Joe Kuhel, Harry

Danning, Frankie Hayes, Ernie White, Jimmy Brown, Hank Sauer/Ray Lamanno, Buddy Blair, Jim Carlin, Cy Blanton, Bobby Bragan, and Willard Marshall. Obviously very old.

Blanton died in 1945. Carlin, Marshall, Sauer, Lammack, and Blair were all rookies in 41-42. They all look good to me from the examples I've seen. The Blanton is the

rarest, but I'd like opinions on DiMaggio. I'm no expert. Different from his later years, but I think I have seen a couple of old ones that were closer. Definitely not his sister. I have one of those I got TTM in the early 80s.

This was scribbled under the picture: "Joe DiMaggio has slashed a hard grounder to Harlond Clift who came up with it and threw home to Rick Ferrell in time to nail Red

Rolfe. Browns at Yankees 1941". I looked through all the box scores from 1941 and there are only two posible games. May 19 and 20. Game #s 5 and 6 in the the 56 game

streak, so it would be pretty cool to have an original newspaper photo from the streak signed by Joe D.You can tell from the reverse side it is a NYC newspaper.

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 03-26-2013 at 02:43 AM. Reason: spelling