View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Val Kehl

Default M101-4/5

I'm not a set collector, but if I were you, it would be the 1916 M101-4/5s. I like real-photo cards, and I like the many different ads on the backs of these cards (some of the ad backs have different ACC #s) (I would ignore the blank backs, which are the easiest to find, because I really like the ad backs). The set is of reasonable size - 200 cards plus a few variations, and I would go for a mix of the different ad backs (with at least one of each, which won't be easy as a few of them are quite scarce). There are lots of HOFers/lesser stars, with a great mix of players from the "dead ball" era and players who were more prominent in the "live ball" 1920s. Costwise, the drawback could be the Jackson & Ruth cards, which I would look to obtain in poor-fair condition in order to keep them more or less affordable. FYI, the M101-4/5s don't get a lotta love from the vintage collecting community, IMHO.

Also, I suggest you obtain a copy of the Standard Catalog of BB Cards and go through the vintage section page-by-page. This will enable you to quickly identify and make an initial list of several possibilities that you can then research further, including learning the pros and cons of each set.

Whatever you decide, Happy collecting!!
Val