View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 02:05 PM

The journey starts today! My first vintage mail day and I can instantly relate to what all the fuss is about.

Card 1 of my 29 card celebration of vintage Topps
Progress: 3.4% complete

1971 Jim Palmer #570
PSA 7
Palmer’s 6th of 19 base Topps cards

Why his ‘71? Vivid color, beautiful contrast. Classic pose of the eventual winningest pitcher of the decade and the emerging ace for that early 70’s juggernaut. Palmer just came off his 1st All-Star nod here, along with his first 20 win season and of course a World Championship. Also, this card features him in the middle of a historic season as one of only two 20 game winning quartets in major league history. For me, a helluva card to kick this project off.

Runner-up year for Palmer: 1977 - Classic Palmer delivery. Distinctly remember having his ‘77 card in my shoebox as a kid.

Runner-up player for 1971: Tom Seaver - Tom Terrific sizing up yet another victim. Go ahead, make his day.

*While not all years/players will have this much narrative, not all make me grin as much as this one. However, they will all be integral to my celebration of the entire vintage Topps era and the Hall of Fame pitchers who represent them.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by cjedmonton; 12-04-2021 at 10:21 AM.