View Single Post
Old 11-09-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
Sounds great. I guess you will have to shell out some real money for the 1953 Topps Satchel Paige. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that Lee Smith breaks the streak. Doesn't he extend the streak to 1982?
Paige will be a cost outlier since he’s exclusive to 1953. But if I’m committed to this, he must be included. Will be thrilled with a PSA 1 one day, but I don’t see his prices softening anytime soon.

As for the rest, I have a relatively modest budget for each.

Since there will be no rookies, the earliest Smith could be included is 1983. At least two more pitchers would need to be elected to extend the run beyond 1980 (assuming no 1981 or 1982 RC).

Beyond that, the next eligible year/player right now is 1988 Maddux (2nd year).

Honestly though, I hope the run stays 1952*-1980 since that’s the widely accepted vintage Topps era and there’s something fascinating about how it all aligned so perfectly.

*I do have an emergency plan if Allie Reynolds is somehow inducted this year through the Early Baseball Committee…he has a 1951 Topps issue!

Otherwise, not interested in any post-1980 unless it extends chronologically.

On the other hand, if Kaat is inducted, it will make a nice round total of 30.

Either way, just think it’s really cool that so many consecutive years can be represented by a different HOF pitcher with no gaps, overlaps, or rookies.

Sorry, can you tell I’m ready to get started?

Last edited by cjedmonton; 11-12-2021 at 10:29 AM.