View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 11:31 AM
Steve Birmingham

Hmm....Lots of stuff to consider.

CySeymour - we've had a slow art conversation in the off topic section. While looking some stuff up I was amazed that something like 9 of the top 10 auction sale prices were for art from the 1900's. And most of that from the last half of the century.

Andrew- My point was that publicity has as much to do with how a player becomes an iconic character. Without publicity of their exploits it either never happens, or doesn't get to the same stature. Mantle is obviosly an iconc figure, but if it had been the Yankees moving to SF, I don't think he would be. (And I'll counter your Canadian Hitler with a western Pol Pot or a less secretive Stalin, or even an Andrew Jackson going agianst a larger population. ) Look at a couple modern players - Ken Griffey Jr. - some hype early, some injury issues, and eventually a great 22 years that put him over 600HR. But nearly the entire last half of his career was pretty quiet on the PR front. Jim Thome - another 22 years, also over 600 HR and not even a hint of steroids. His entire career played in small larket places, and he's not a flashy guy. If you can call 7th all time in hr not flashy.
Reggie Jacksons 5 years in NY were ones of amazing celebrity, but weren't really that impressive.
When you think late 70's power hitters, who do you think of first? Jackson or Rice? Jackson or Hisle? (Hisle had more HR and more RBI in both 77 and 78 before injury finished him.) Jackson or Gorman Thomas? Jackson or really any of the players who had 18 better HR seasons between 77 and 79?
Publicity has a LOT to do with it.

On the card front, I wonder how much the 52 Mantle affected his iconic image? I don't think either would be quite the same without the other.

For that matter, how much does a "great" card affect any player? Baltimore news wasn't a big deal till recently, but would Ruth be as famous without the Goudeys? Would Wagner be as famous without the T206, or if it wasn't an uncommon card? That maybe belongs in another thread, as it's getting a bit off topic.