View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
Pete Rose is still the # 1 hit leader and his rookie goes for only a couple hundred dollars in PSA 5....
Citing this example is somewhat specious. It is very tough to compare different cards' values in the same grade across different eras. It is also very hard to compare players' statures based on card values. A low pop common from the 60s or 70s might command $3000+ in PSA 9; that doesn't mean that common player is better than Mike Schmidt.

Due to time and collectors preservation habits, many more 1963 Rose rookie cards are laying around than there are 1952 Mantles...

There are currently 1128 Mantles graded by PSA, with 227 grading at and north of PSA 5.

In contrast, there are 2859 Rose RCs graded by PSA, with nearly 2000 examples at or north of PSA 5.

So condition now enters the conversation as a determinant of value and it becomes apples to oranges. In PSA 8 or 9, the Rose RC is not a cheap card, and its price in that range might sound more commensurate with it being the RC of the all time hits leader.

That said, I think Mantle's iconic status within the card collecting hobby will stand the test of time, as will Ruth's. Even though Mantle has many cards in the hobby, eye-appealing examples of his earliest issues will, in my opinion, never plunge in value, nor will his rare issues like say the Dice Game. But again this is all talk and only time will tell.

I think names like Ruth, Cobb, Aaron, Williams, and DiMaggio, will endure well in terms of their card values-- but by card values I specifically mean the values of their most desired, popular cards. I can see a later issue Ted Williams dipping over time but not nearly as much so for a card like the 1954 Wilson Franks. Similarly I can see a 1968 Mantle in PSA 8 dipping long term, but not nearly as much if at all for a nicely centered example of his RC or the 52T.

Last edited by MattyC; 05-20-2013 at 09:43 AM.