View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Adrian...I have to disagree...as more and more people die...who may have seen mantle play...who have this form of disposable income...the demand for his cards will go down. People like you...who at your age idolize mantle...are a small minority.
I completely agree Peter,

I think you are already seeing this effect with Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. They are still very popular, but not the way that they were 20 years ago. Mantle was an incredibly gifted player who had the misfortune to suffer major injuries early in his career, so his numbers don't stack up with the all time greats and when the folks that saw him play are no longer around to tell the stories, his popularity will decline, even if only slightly. There's also a much greater likelihood of more Mantle rookies showing up as quite a few of the kids that collected cards at the time are still alive and I'd imagine that more cards will be showing up in estates over the next 10-20 years. The likelihood of additional pre-WWI cards being discovered is much less as you are looking at items being passed through multiple generations.
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.