View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
As a learning exercise for a relative noob when it comes to vintage tickets, could I check that I've identified the reasons why it's an obvious fake:

Paper: Too new and lacks perforations
Color: Should be white with red and blue ink.
Watermark: No watermark
Quality: The details of the printing are poor
Errors: The price is $1.10 made up of $1.60 + 0.14 Tax? I'm pretty sure the Yankees would have gotten their sums right on the ticket.

Have I missed anything?

I'm also curious, would a legitimate ticket have the words "Bleachers Admission"?
A very quick Google Images search for 1923 World Series ticket would show that the colour of the ticket it way off as well as the colour of the writing on the ticket. There is a lot more red print than black print with a real ticket. The watermark is more a print pattern than a watermark from looking at my old tickets. My impression (perhaps errantly) is that watermarks are more random but these print patterns are regular.

Bleachers Admission is one of the normal variations of a 1923 ticket.

The corners are SHARP in the eBay ticket and with absolutely no wear; this is impossible to be almost 100 years old. Yes, there should be perforation at the end which can either be a reprint or a cut. Reprint in this case.

The print quality is poor, but the math is ok. The numbers are just unclear unlike a real ticket from the very poor quality printing.

Overall great job at evaluating this!! Clearly someone did not when they wasted hundreds of dollars. I messaged the seller when the auction want up that it was fake and he did not make any amendments to the listing to indicate that this is a reprint. Not so cool in my books.