View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 03:41 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
I know everyone has a hard-on for Ed's collection (I do as well), but any time auction prices are manipulated in any fashion, I don't like it. Hey, the next time anyone sees a Helmar Stamp or rookie card that I need at auction, please don't bid it up because I'm going after it. If I were the one selling these cards and I saw collusion like this I would be a bit ticked. I'm glad the seller seems cool with this (per his previous post).

And I know Ed isn't intentionally doing anything shady, but if even one person on Net54 chooses not to bid (and would have otherwise been the under-bidder), then pricing manipulation has occurred and the seller is out some change. Sorry, no way around it.

Obviously the sheer number of t206 collectors out there will likely make this a moot point and I'm sure market price + a small premium for the stamp will likely result (but not from the bid of a fellow Net54 board member). If this were a more thinly collected (niche) card issue or focus, then I think more would actually agree with me. I seem to recall someone arguing recently that Negro League item prices have come down considerably due to collusion among the Negro League collecting community - "I'll bid on that one and I promise not to bid on that one and we'll both come out ahead". It's a good strategy (for the buyers).

Anyway, just my opinion.
Price "manipulation" has become part of the hobby. Anything you want...that becomes known you want it...will be reflected in the price.