View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 03:36 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
The only thing icky about this thread is that a grown man used the word icky. Cream puffs....

I love your collection as well Ed, and most of us knew that you weren't suggesting anything shady. Good luck with the purchase!
I know everyone has a hard-on for Ed's collection (I do as well), but any time auction prices are manipulated in any fashion, I don't like it. Hey, the next time anyone sees a Helmar Stamp or rookie card that I need at auction, please don't bid it up because I'm going after it. If I were the one selling these cards and I saw collusion like this I would be a bit ticked. I'm glad the seller seems cool with this (per his previous post).

And I know Ed isn't intentionally doing anything shady, but if even one person on Net54 chooses not to bid (and would have otherwise been the under-bidder), then pricing manipulation has occurred and the seller is out some change. Sorry, no way around it.

Obviously the sheer number of t206 collectors out there will likely make this a moot point and I'm sure market price + a small premium for the stamp will likely result (but not from the bid of a fellow Net54 board member). If this were a more thinly collected (niche) card issue or focus, then I think more would actually agree with me. I seem to recall someone arguing recently that Negro League item prices have come down considerably due to collusion among the Negro League collecting community - "I'll bid on that one and I promise not to bid on that one and we'll both come out ahead". It's a good strategy (for the buyers).

Anyway, just my opinion.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)