View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM
Ed McCollum

Default I'll try and keep this as short as possible

Born in 1895, Howe McCormick's dad and uncle owned a grocery store in Gainesville, Fla. that he and his family also lived in. He served in WWI, was married by 1930, had a daughter by 1940, and died in 1976. Doesn't appear he ever left Florida for any period of time.

I got my first Howe stamped card about 22 years ago. Fifteen years later, found another on eBay and decided to sell all my T206s at the time (about 200 after all those years) and collect only the cards I could find with Howe's stamp on the back.

There is one other card that varies from most of these, where it has his full name (Urich Howe McCormick) and his address but also says he is an agent for the Saturday Evening Post. That one was also part of the Mastro lot.

Every census I've found says he was a salesman. But guessing when your Dad owns a grocery, you must get a lot of cards from folks who buy the smokes but don't want the cards. Every one I've seen so far is either Piedmont, Old Mill or Hindu.

If you type Howe McCormick in the forum search, there will probably be a lot of threads about him, as I am rather obsessed.

Thanks also to Leon for saying it was O.K. to post this and give a shout out to everyone for their help.