View Single Post
Old 03-01-2022, 07:48 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Great pick up Phil. Those Lections are tough (especially ones without holes).

I picked this up over the weekend and it should arrive tomorrow. I am very excited to find this caliber of a T204 Johnson; it is a classic card and one I have been looking for for several years. But what makes this card so special to me is its provenance and story.....

I acquired the card from Tony A., who bought it 2014 from a guy who acquired a bunch of cards from an estate sale (yes a real estate find). Along with this T204 Johnson were 100+/- T204 Ramlys, as well as Colgan's, T206s, T205s, Boxing cards, etc. Below are pics of the find. The cards are in such good condition because they were kept in the boxes and tins (shown below) for 100+ years. Tony had the entire find graded by SGC and all the T204 cards were graded 5-6; if you come across a T204 graded 5-6, there is a good chance it is from this find.

Tony ended up selling it to a longtime and beloved collector named Jim B, who was diagnosed with cancer and passed away not long after he acquired the card. The family sold it at auction in 2016. It was sold again in 2018 and then sold again a few months later in a Heritage auction where Tony A re-acquired his old card. Tony is now the proud owner of a gorgeous T206 Plank, which is the only reason I was able to get this amazing card. Thanks Tony!
Wow! What a card for day 1 of the thread! Easily one of the finest examples I've ever seen. That is a card to be treasured. Congratulations
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson