View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Howard Chasser

Default First about the 7's

My opinion is the 7 level for most (some exceptions- 52 topps topping the list) post war collectors seems to be the highest more "affordable" grade. I am sure given the option anyone would want the best condition possible. So possible translates into realistically afordable.

Regarding pre war and certain test and food issues I would have to say your "7" theory is out the window.

That said I agree strongly with Johhny that the one thing consistent with graded cards is their inconsistency. It is amazing to me HOW inconsistent some of the grading is. So you could certainly find lower graded cards with more incredible eye appeal than higher ones. One example - I own a 1968 3d Clemente - It is near perfect EXCEPT for a tiny pin hole (It is hard to see from the front and more easily given away on the back.) Take the pinhole away and I'd say it's an easy 7-8. PSA policy - any pinhole or staple hole and the card is a PSA 1. So I have a PSA 1 that 98% looks like a 7-8 that I bought for a fraction of the price of a 7-8. Just my 2 cents.