View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 11:30 AM
John Donovan

Default The Moe Berg Differential

I picked up a copy of the "The Catcher Was a Spy" (a biography about Moe Berg by Nicholas Dawidoff), and since it's pretty common that I enjoy acquiring a card of a player if I read a book about him, I figured I would pick up a Moe Berg card. Unlike cards of the other biographies I read (Mays, Mantle, Ruth, etc.) I figured this card would be relatively cheap. He's a "common" player. Baseball Reference lists him as having a NEGATIVE WAR stat.

Well, evidently, baseball card values can be based on more than just stats, because I was shocked at how expensive Berg cards are (he has a 1933 Goudey and a couple late 30's Play Ball issues). I was figuring I could pick up a beater copy in the $20 to $30 range. Nope. Nothing less than $100 and most well above.

So evidently, I'm not the ONLY person who considered getting a Berg card after reading the book (or watching the movie).

That got me thinking, are there other players that have disproportionately high card prices based on something other than stats or HOF status?

Maybe members of the Black Sox (not named Shoeless Joe)?
Michael Jordan baseball cards?

Can anyone else think of any baseball card that has this same "Moe Berg Differential" priced in?