View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholmes View Post
Hi Guys,

This is my first post to the memorabilia side. One of my first posts to N54 since the change over, actually. Anyhow, I have a bat I've always thought was interesting and maybe I can get some comments on it. It is labeled JF Hillerich & Son Co., Dash Dot Dash, placing it to 1911-16 if I am correct. It is block stamped J.O. Crandall...James Otis Crandall, the player more commonly known as "Doc" Crandall. He pitched for the NY Giants from 1908 to 1913 (baseball's first relief pitcher!), then went on to the Federal League and quite a few years in the PCL. So, you have Doc Crandall. And then, also block stamped in two places on the bat, is A.C. Engle. This would be Arthur Clyde Engle, utility player for the Highlanders (1909 and half of 1910) and the Red Sox (1910-14). He also went on to play in the Federal League. The bat is side-written 'A.C. Engle' with a date that I can't quite make out.

This is my question: Does anyone have, or has anyone seen, another bat that was used by two different players who never played together on the same team? It seems fairly common to have bats that were ordered and used by one guy and then subsequently by another on the same team...but this is the only one I've seen used by two guys who didn't play together. As far as I can tell, the only times Crandall and Engle's professional paths crossed were in the 1912 world series, and then their respective stints in the Feds, albeit on different teams. It is my guess that Crandall owned this bat first, as his name is in the dominant, usual spot on the barrel. How and why it ended up with Clyde Engle is a matter of some fascination for me...one of those '"if only this could talk" items. Is there another connection between these two that I am missing?

Sorry for the long post. I am including a couple of pictures...not great, but I've had this bat a while and am not feeling motivated to take new ones!

Ray

Nice bat! ...my only 2 cents to add, is that you have to remember the following:

1. there werent alot of major league teams in the 1910s and these guys probably intereacted even more than they do today.

2. Bats werent cheap back then.... they were saved

3. I actually have a 3 player bat, that went through the ranks of the ML

4th. I collect items that relate to the 1912 world series, i would be interested in purchasing this bat, if you would like to sell it....if not i understand

jboosted92@live.com

THANKS!!!