View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Default The hobby legends

Posted By: leon

I am not sure there are too many slabs, currently, with the names of the pioneers on them or other names that are identifiable ie....Skydash (for a newer one), Nagy, Carter etc. I can only think of those and maybe 1-2 others. I do think the naming should be saved for special situations..... Burdick's collection was donated to the Met so none of those are slabbed. Most of those are tucked away and out of site, according to recent reports. I would pay a tad more for a card from one of the pioneers because of the provenance. As far as ranking older collectors vs newer collectors, that is something I don't think I would care to personally do. Old and new alike could very well have the same amount of passion. As Barry pointed out the main difference in yesterday and today is the amount of money it takes to collect. To amass a really nice collection today takes more resources than many collectors have. That being said there are still areas that can be collected for not an arm and a leg. Strip cards, Exhibits, certain E and T cards, and many others can be had on shoestring budgets. Finding good buys and bargains is certainly part of the fun. As most know I have only been collecting a very short time, relatively speaking (10-11 yrs) and the prices have gone up exponentially from what they were when I started. I do think the market has calmed down a bit in the last year....again, as has been stated previously. The creme de la creme are still bringing record prices though.....breast regards