View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default The hobby legends

Posted By: davidcycleback

Widespread professional grading of baseball cards is a recent phenomenon. 10 years ago, it was the norm to buy and sell raw cards, even on the internet. The buyer checked out the card and, if he disagreed with the grade, he returned it. Asking for an expert's opinion about authenticity and alterations seemed reasonable, but it was always my idea that if a collector needed to pay someone to tell him whether or not the card in his hand is Very Good as advertised, he should probably be in a different hobby or the money would be better spent on a beginner's book.

I should note that I understand that grading is used to check for authenticity and for alterations and to facilitate sales between strangers hundreds of miles away from each other, so I acknowledge its practical purposes. If a potential buyer is wary about the grading abilities or honesty of a stranger 1,000 miles away, I understand that. You won't be able to give your in-personal judgment of the grade until after you've paid the money.