View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
Let's remember one thing here. This is 99% business and 1% hobby. From auction houses shilling their asses off to other people creating a market for items such as this Mantle photo, it's all about the money, and how to best extract the money from the hands and pockets of willing collectors.

I think there are very few of us who will actually take our collections to the grave or pass them on to someone else. IMO, the majority of us will at some point look to cash in on the "investment" and use those assets for other more important life events or circumstances that will happen to us all eventually. And this after years of enjoying the chase of collecting.

Do I think more than one Type 1 of this photo exists? Of course, but none of us can prove it, so the market and hype gets created and it leads inevitably to discussions like this. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but only to that specific person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
All of this being said if the timing was a bit more right for me I would have bid more than the winning bid. Not sure how high the winner was going to go but I think the photo is that nice and that significant. If one or others came out, I wouldn't have cared. Whomever won this got a good deal imo.....hype or no hype (and hell yes, hype is part of the hobby, we as collectors just need to understand what is important to us and try not to get caught up in it)
I actually agree with both Jake and Leon on this. Must admit that I am keeping my fingers crossed that other Type 1's will eventually surface.