Thread: Mays opinion?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 06:07 AM

The trepidation others are having is understandable, as it's a very odd Mays and that Staub is even sloppier than his usual IP scrawl, but the autographs are fine IMO. Not sure what happened with that W in Willie, but just cover that up on the screen and look at the rest of it.

The Mays and Hernandez both have the appearance of having been on that ball a long time. The Staub could appear fresher and more recent. There are no clubhouse versions that come anywhere close to these, either, and no forger is going to put these three on the same item, as it would make no sense to their prospective financial gain.

I recall examining a bunch of Staub's personal collection many years ago which was about to be auctioned. For whatever reason, the auction house had him sign all his vintage baseballs at that time. Single-signed, team signed...it made no sense. Balls with U.S. Preisdents and top-tier HOFers, all formerly single-signed and many with unique inscriptions to Rusty now have his scrawl on a side panel. I'm not saying with any certainty that this ball is from his collection; I just happened to be reminded of that experience. Whoever was behind that ridiculous decision ended up ruining a lot of nice autographed baseballs. Their lack of comprehension of very basic autograph Do's and Dont's proved they shouldn't be in the industry.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 08-07-2022 at 06:26 AM.