View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
Okay, so this is going to be a long read, and I do apologize. But to preface what I'm contemplating: I've been collecting the 1958 Topps set for about 5 months now. I'm probably halfway to it (I've got about 350 different cards), and I've got lots of stars and HOFers. But I'm missing the big ones (Mantle, Maris, Williams, Koufax, Aaron, Clemente).

I was never interested in this set, but I picked up a nice lot for a decent price at the LCS. So I talked myself into building it. I have already built it once, and I sold it back in 2013 to fund my family's first trip to Disney World. While, looking back, I somewhat regret selling it, I'd do it again in a heart beat.

About 2 weeks ago, I picked up a huge lot of 1957 Topps. Now, 1957 Topps is my absolute, without question, all-time favorite set. It's one I've always wanted to build. It's the first complete vintage set I ever saw in person (a college professor had the class over for dinner one night, knew I was interested in cards and showed it to me). Since then I've wanted to build one. I absolutely love the look of this set, the advertising in the background, the mix of stars, HOFers, couple of key RCs and more.

So this is where I'm at:
I'm contemplating giving up my 1958 Topps quest and trying to trade the stars and HOFers for stars and HOFers from 1957. The lot I picked up was mostly commons with about 20 from the mid series. It had a few semistars (Colavito, Minoso, Furillo, etc), but none of the big names.

If I decide to do this set, I'd be looking to trade my big name stars and HOFers from 1958 for 1957. In the past, I haven't had any luck trading/buying around here for whatever reason. Maybe it's cause I've been around for very little time, and I'm not one of the veterans. Who knows. But that's kind of what I'd be looking to do............Again sorry for the long road down what I'm doing. Just looking for ideas. I guess in the end, it's really up to me and what I want to do. In reality, it's my money, it's my collection. But I just like to hear what others think.
I am primarily a set builder/collector and often have 2 or 3 sets in process. I am an opportunistic set builder and change priorities as opportunities for acquisitions change. I would keep collecting both sets. jmho

Good luck either way.