View Single Post
Old 11-13-2021, 10:54 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Game used flannels. Holding a shirt that was actually worn by a specific player during a specific season, and in specific ballparks (home vs road) is a really cool thing. Example: Suppose you lived near any AL ballpark from 1962-1967 and went to a game when your home team was hosting the Twins. There is a very good chance I own at least one of the shirts you saw that day, over 50 years ago. To me, that concept is really fascinating.

Cards generally never get anywhere near the player depicted, and unless they were premiums sold in the ballpark, nowhere near an actual ballgame. Autographs are things created by specific ballplayers, but often hard to authenticate, and kind of boring to look at.

GU shirts have everything: Direct contact with the player, stadium, and game action, and they are colorful and reasonably easy to authenticate (flannels especially) as long as all the original tagging is intact. Value-wise, they are a bargain.

For instance, about an hour ago in the Hunt live auction, I won a 1949 Boston Braves Earl Torgeson all original matched jersey and pants combo for about $2,600 including BP and shipping. According to an ebay search, on halloween this card sold for about the same, $2,450:

1952 Topps #79 Gerald Staley St. Louis Cardinals PSA 8 NM-MT

It's a very nice card of a common player, well preserved. But for the money, is it one tenth as cool as a 70 year old GU uniform?

Last edited by Mark17; 11-13-2021 at 10:55 AM.