View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1949 LEAF HOFer picture premiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Great post Ted Z. I've long admired these cards and have several Reds players in my collection, but I'm also an advanced Reds pennant collector of all shapes and sizes and this is the only pennant I own that measures 12" x 6". In my opinion, this is the Reds version of the pennant offer shown on the back of some Leaf cards. Wanted to hear yours and everyone else's opinion on the subject. I'm also interested in hearing what you have to say about the other premiums offered by leaf. Do you have any pics to share of these items?

Hi Chris

The last time I saw any of the Pennants that LEAF Gum offered, I was very young. They really are very rare. Your Cincinnati pennant looks like what was offered by LEAF.
And, it certainly measures correctly.

The 32-page LEAF album premium is seldom seen. Both the Album and the Pennants were mail-in items, and this may have something to do why these items are so rare.

The HOFer's picture premiums were available at our corner candy stores. These premiums were inside the 24-count wax pack boxes. Kids would get a HOFer's picture by
simply giving the store manager ten LEAF wrappers and requested a certain ballplayer.

Also, I've heard that some generous store managers would reward a kid with a HOFer premium when that kid purchased the very last wax pack(s) in the box.

Here are my 3 premiums....two Babe Ruth pictures, and the Lou Gehrig pix.

. . . .

Premiums Checklist

Grover Cleveland Alexander
Mickey Cochrane
Lou Gehrig
Walter Johnson
Christy Mathewson
John McGraw
Babe Ruth (light background, no text)
Babe Ruth (blue background, no text)
Babe Ruth (dark background, text)
Ed Walsh

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 08-28-2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Updated scan.