View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM

Default Not a Princeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
More pictures:
Phil, Looking at that helmet in your case I thought it was a Princeton style but now that you post those large photos it isn't after all...It's great though....and in incredible condition with super clean padding inside....I don't recall ever seeing one like it...

Below is a good example of a Princeton style helmet...I don't know exactly for sure why it's called a Princeton but I think they were advertised as such in catalogs...I think Spalding catalogs. This one is a Reach. Generally I think helmets made by Spalding are the most sought after....and I think that's generally true with all antique sports equipment, baseball, football, etc.

Some of the other football helmet makers would be, Victor, Wright and Ditson, then I think Wright and Ditson and Victor merged into "Victor Wright and Ditson"...then you've got Reach, Draper Maynard (D&M), Lowell and Campbell, Goldsmith, Thomas Wilson, Remington...then later in the 40's I think there was, McGregor, Rawlings, Wilson, etc etc....I'm just giving a quick overview of ones I recall off the top my head but there are a lot of collectors that collect primarily equipment who would know them all...way better than me. Equipment is just one of the things I collect.

Photobucket

http://www.sportsantiques.com/portlandpg6.htm
There was another lesser known helmet maker named Schmelzer out of I think Kansas City....I once scored a killer dog ear by them on my way back from the Portland Expo antiques show in Portland Oregon which you can read about in the link above...gave a whopping $29.00 for it, and the way I came upon it is memorable...I also give the Schmelzer company history in the story...

Photobucket

Photobucket