View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Challenge....try for a Quintuplicate Type Set ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

In another thread you said......

"Ted

I think I am the lone hold out but on this one I just won't rewrite history. Burdick said T213 had brown captions and blue captions.
He didn't differintiate type 2's and 3's but he did make note of the Coupon T213-1's being on heavy paper, which they are. Again, I
know I am almost the lone hold out but I am going by the book on this one. I know he made mistakes but we have mistakes in many
areas of life that we accept ie...the English language and other places. Coupons are T213's, just as they have been classified for 70
yrs"

If you do not mind, I will respond here....since this thread is currently more applicable to the Coupon (Type 1) cards than the other.

1st, I'll grant Burdick a "pass" on missing the significance of the 1910 Coupon cards as they relate to the White Border cards (T206).
Burdick had an overwhelming variety of cards to catalog to devote much effort with a series of seldom seen cards, such as this Cou-
pon set.

And, let's start with why the 1910 Coupon (so-called T213-1) cards are so seldom seen. Even though Coupon Cigarettes (Louisiana)
were part of the American Tobacco Co. trust, there was pending legal action. And, I feel this factor led to the limited production of
the 1910 Coupon series.

So, let's focus on the aspects of the Type 1 Coupon cards that fall under the rubric of the T206 issue......

1....Stylized frame and artwork of the Coupon Tobacco adv. backs is identical to the Amer. Beauty, Broad Leaf, Cycle, and Drum.
All 5 of these advertising backs were designed and printed in the Spring/Summer of 1910 by American Lithographic.

2....Brown lettering in captions

3....Commonality of Major League Subjects from the T206 350-only Series and T206 Southern League Subjects in the Coupon set.

4....No glossy effect, as seen on T213-2 & T213-3 cards.

Perhaps, there are other identifying factors to reinforce the argument that the 1910 Coupon back is the 16th T-brand of the White
Border set Burdick named "T206"....however, the above four factors is all I need to convince me.

Therefore, in my opinion, if these 68 Coupon cards look like a Duck.....and quack like a Duck.....and waddle like a Duck.....then, they
are indeed T206's.

T-Rex TED