View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 PM

Default JimStinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Ha - I think we all have our own Frank Robinson stories of getting turned down by that jerk! Back in the late 80s, I had Hank Bauer and Brooks Robinson sign the '67 Topps card picturing them and Frank.

So when Frank was in Boston (O's manager), I knew he'd be tough, but I figured with the other two already signed, he may be more obliging. I caught him many hours before the game outside of Fenway, as he got out of a cab with no other autograph seekers around. Seemed like the perfect opportunity.

He looked at the card as I held it, and it went something like this (mind you, I'm a 15 year old kid at this point):

Frank:"Oh, so you already had Brooks and Hank sign it?"
Me: "Yes sir, I would appreciate if you would sign it as well for me."
Frank: "I'll sign it for you tomorrow."
Me: "But this is the Orioles' last day here in Boston."
Frank: "I know!" (walks away laughing)

Seriously - why take the time to talk to me for 30 seconds just to be a jerk? It would've taken a fraction of the time to either just say no or to sign it, but why have a conversation and be an a-hole about it??
What a jerk I love those stories.... Here is one for you JIM KAAT coming out of a hotel , No one recognizes him but me and I have an 8x10 photo of him in my arsenal of possible players at the hotel. No one for miles except for me and him.
Mr Kaat would you autograph my photo ?
No response
I ask again,
I'm busy he says ...
Then out my my arsenal I remember he likes to golf and I know the guy that owns the pro shop (Can;t remember his name today but lets say its Bob)
I say I'm a friend of Bob's
He says "The golf guy?"
I say yea "figure I got him now !"
He says tell him I said HI (as he gets in his car to drive away)