View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Default Ted Z - Chase, Matty, and Johnson were on the same printing sheet

Posted By: Joe D.

I agree completely with Ted and Frank.

They printed the backs first. They probably kept the presses rolling on the backs and kept the paper (with backs already printed) awaiting word of what player's were wanted.

Evidence of that is the Piedmont sheet that Ted mentioned, and this error - which any pressman would see before backing up a sheet (so the sheet had to be printed on the 'back' already.

Also what Scot mentioned about the Johnson Pitching not coming in SC 460... that may tell the whole story. I think that observation nails the whole situation.

Walk with me back into a press room 100 years ago...

We have paper stock with most every T-206 tobacco brand back already pre-printed and ready to go. On our order listt - we see that Piedmont needs more cards... they want form '5'... the one with Chase and Matty and Johnson and Murphy. The paper is loaded, the first of the plates are on the press (I am guessing T206s had to run through the press many times - I don't think they had the ability to print many colors at one time). The ink is in the fountains... we are ready to roll. The press starts running. The pressman pulls his sheets to check them (as any pressman does during a run) with just the first couple of colors printed on it - turns the sheets over and sees Sweet Caporal. The operator loaded the wrong paper! The printing company can not send sweet caporal cards to Piedmont... they will lose their printing account. The bad sheets that already ran through the press were tossed aside. An apologetic operator removes the remaining erroneous Sweet Cap paper and puts in the correct Piedmont paper.

So - this was not a printing error! The printing was purposely stopped at this point (with much color missing) because the wrong paper was loaded in the press.

Based on what Scot said... that is what I believe must have happened 100 years ago.

And those few sheets that were tossed aside... well, someone in that pressroom decided he liked those little cards that were headed to the garbage. By hand, he cut out the ones he wanted and brought them home that day.