View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 12:09 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
My childhood collection started with 1966 Topps - I was 7 years old.

When I found the collecting hobby through ads in Sporting News and Baseball Digest around 1970 I found I did not have high numbers for 1966 and 1967 - but had them beginning 1968.

By the time I got to junior high, I found out one of my friends had a few high numbers in 1967 - apparently the cards made it to at least the grocery store near his house that my mom never went to.

This was Youngstown Ohio suburbs.

We were also one of the markets that got the entire 1973 set in a single series.
Kind of the same with me in Minnesota-- I was also age 7 in my first year of collecting. I do remember that we had a splattering of high numbers in 1966, only because a neighbor showed me the Twins Team card he had and I was envious. When I went up the street to the store there were none and through bad timing or whatever I never was able to land any. I suspect like you that there was a store or so elsewhere in town that carried them longer. I just remember the '66 football coming out in full force--both sets--and I kind of moved on.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-23-2023 at 12:10 PM.