View Single Post
Old 01-26-2024, 08:56 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touch'EmAll View Post
Great info on W575-1 vs. W501 Type 2, thank you, and very interesting. Both being obscure and super low pops is anything but disappointing. It's just really cool to own such a rare item. So should I just let it be as is encapsulated by SGC ? Or would there be any advantage (or disadvantage) to having SGC take another look at the card ?
If I were in your shoes and felt that my W575-1 was actually a W501-2, I wouldn't send it back to SGC without first speaking with someone at SGC's research dept. who claims to be familiar with the W575 and W501 issues (I don't know if this is even possible). If you get to speak with such a SGC rep and this rep seems genuinely interested in what you are explaining to him, then it might be worth sending the card to SGC for a second look. My guess is that SGC doesn't really care, but then again I'm not a fan of any of the TPGs when it comes to their abilities and desires to properly ID cards from obscure pre-War sets. And, before contacting SGC, I would contact Rhett Yeakley (his contact info is found in the "Vintage Links" section (see top of every page) and ask him if he has ever attempted to get any of the TPGs to recognize the W501-2 cards, and if so, what sort of response he received. If you do have a go at this, I wish you complete success.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.