View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 07:53 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
I expect a plummet. There are a lot of sneakerheads (Collectors of basketball shoes) and bitcoin kids and gamblers who are getting in on baseball cards because they're following baseball card savants like Vegas Dave, Gary Vaynerchuck, and other people you've never heard of on Twitter. Most of them are buying up card segments, then telling their followers what is hot, and then seeing their cards skyrocket when those newbies blindly trust what they're being told.

Look at Topps Project 2020 as an example. Cards with print runs of 40K copies started selling for $200 each even though they were printed by Topps days ago. Now they're dropping to $150 > $130 > $100 > $80 > $60 over the course of two weeks. EBay sellers who sold those cards at $140-200 are getting refund requests because these kids didn't think cards could go down!

They're also the reason you can't get any blaster boxes at Wal-Mart and Target; they're buying them up when they hit the shelves (or supposedly extorting the middleman to force them to sell to regional managers instead of ever hitting the store shelves) and then reselling them online for quadruple or more. It's a huge bubble market right now and you can already see the bubble bursting. Now that those kids' PayPal credit cards are due and they're underwater, it's only going to keep sliding.
It was either you, John, or someone else who wrote a post about that? I haven't been following along much but I am not the least bit surprised to read what you just wrote.
I seen these cards on EBay shortly after the last post about this and seen prices in excess of a thousand dollars asking and it just made me shake my head.
Personal opinion, I thought the majority of the cards sucked, but then again I am not an artist by any stretch nor am I a follower of these supposed new wave artists.