View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Leon: yes, I have seen the sheet before as well as singles. I have not seen any others than are depicted on the sheet, and I have been tracking the set for years. The ACC designates all of the W529 types as W529 with little elaboration other than noting that some are reversed. I've identified five distinct strip subsets using exactly the same artwork and two more using artwork derived from the same originals, except that two horizontal cards have been replaced with vertical cards of the same guys. Then there is the set you picked up, which has the same artwork for the six boxers. I labeled that one type 8. It is a very, very tough issue. I got lucky and picked up a partial sheet [no Ruth] on Ebay, which got me the Benny Leonard I needed. Images of each type, 1 through 8:

Jeff, actually that price [$7000 plus vig] was a shadow of the last price at which this card sold. It is the same T226 Johnson that went for $19,120.00 in the 2009 Hull sale at Heritage. The E125 Jim Jeffries fared even worse, dropping from $19,120.00 to under $5,000.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-29-2012 at 03:06 PM.