View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Regarding your...." nobody cared much about these cards in 1909, so why, in 1909, would anyone bother
to attach them to a sheet with the precision of an accomplished card doctor? "

This is a very naive comment, there is tons of documentation that tells us how popular these cards were
when they were initially available in 1909. Especially, the major stars of that era (Cobb, Johnson, Lajoie,
Matty, Wagner, CYoung, etc).

TED Z
I should have phrased my comment better, the cards were popular, but certainly not considered valuable back in 1909-1911. Many people threw the cards away, many gave the cards to kids (who would beg for them outside tobacco shops). So the cards were popular (especially with kids), yes, but not valuable enough for someone to go to the great lengths of creating a fake strip card in hopes of monetary gain. I admit that this is just my opinion, its always possible that someone did that, I'm just saying it seems highly unlikely to me.

Quote:
And, to the 2nd part of your comment....It didn't require a "card doctor" to craft this strip. The employees
at American Lithograph were high quality craftsman.
It is rumored that this 5-card strip was specifically crafted as a sample piece given to Wagner prior to the T206 market launch.
This is possible, but it seems highly unlikely to me that someone would go to the trouble of making a strip card and hiding the seams. Even if you have the skill to do this, why would you? Wagner won't care if there are seems on his sample. And why even bother to cut cards and then make a strip for Wagner? Why not just easily paste them on a sheet of paper side by side? It just doesn't add up to me that someone would go to this effort, there seems to me no reason to do so. But maybe there is a reason they did it that we don't know of.

Quote:
Anyhow, I will be traveling down to Citizens Bank Park to catch a Phillies game and get a close up look at
this piece.

TED Z
Let us know how it looks in person, wish I could take a look at this curious piece!