View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 10:12 AM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I believe it was the last 'Induction Weekend' that also included the 'HOF Game'. This one was between the Rangers and the Royals.

The great thing about THAT game was Gregg Zaun 'called his shot' - at the behest of a wonderfully loud left-field crowd. Zaun, normally a catcher, was playing left-field and received a HUGE ovation when he returned to his position after the shot. It was incredible to see!

At the time, the 50K crowd-size, was the biggest ever for an Induction- I believe it was surpassed with the Ripken / Gwynn crowd, but there sure were lots of port-a-potties there...and Ben-n-Jerry's trucks too!!

The ceremonies had to be moved to nearby soccer fields.

Attachment 490384

That was the first and only return for me to the area where I had been born 44 years prior.

We were going to also take the time to visit Syracuse, where we lived back then, and Rome, where I was actually born...but...there was this thing called Woodstock '99 and we were all glad we didn't venter out that way.

Wow, I've not seen pictures from those angles before. More crowded than I imagined. One of my buddies went that day and brought me back some souvenirs, but it would have been cool to be there in person. Thanks for posting.

And I'm familiar with Greg Zaun...he spent a couple years with the Royals in the early 2000's. He was exactly the type of non-descript player that filled the Royals rosters between their World Series years of 1985 and 2014, 2015.

As for Cooperstown, I'm hoping maybe Salvador Perez will sneak in one day, and give me another opportunity to watch a Royals player get inducted.