View Single Post
Old 08-29-2022, 02:56 PM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Who has criticized Mickey Mantle? Do you not know the card is not a rookie? Did you not know it was a DP? Do you not understand it does not meet SGC’s published criteria of a 9.5? What statement is “bile”?

Got to love the pumpers.
You don't know me for shit, pal. So don't pretend to know my motivations for what I type. I could not give a rat's ass about the price of my cards. Maybe you "invest," since you typed about that above. If we're going to ascribe motivation behind posts, perhaps you're not pleased with the state of your own cardboard investments relative to cards like the Mantle? Despite all those facts— it being a DP, the 51B being his RC (tragically underappreciated, relative to the 52T, I might add)— the card world has never cared. Not for decades upon decades now. So you can shout those facts at the sky in some desperate schadenfreude Hail Mary that people will wake up one day and dislike it, yet other facts and intangibles about the card will win the day as they always have and always will. Its desirability and popularity endure. Some seem to have an axe to grind against the card, and get triggered when they contemplate its status and popularity— the motivations behind that would probably not be hard to divine.

Not all of us look at our cards as investments and not all enthusiasm is financially motivated. I buy cards because I collect, though I sell on rare occasion when I have doubles or want something new. As to your condescendingly written string of questions about the card, yes: I know as much about his cards as you or anyone, for that matter.

You don't seem to understand the very real concepts of eye appeal or centering in the vintage space and how they in effect create rarity, from your comments about the sheer pop of the card. It is specious at best and disingenuous at worst to cite sheer pop numbers, when we all know an overwhelming percentage of those that exist possess average eye appeal. At best.

I don't need to nor have I ever "pumped" anything. Let alone the standard-bearer of the hobby, alongside the Wagner. Newsflash: people can be huge lovers of the 52T Mantle and the likes of a Wagner, Fred Foto Ruth, '25 Exhibit Lou, T210 Jackson, and '84 Donruss Mattingly. These are not mutually exclusive camps. If I posted extensively, as I have in the past, about my love of any of those cards, it would not be pumping. And as to what owners of this card or that card or the other card behave like... one thing I haven't seen fellow owners of the Mantle do is take time out to take negative pot shots at other great cards.

Last edited by MattyC; 08-29-2022 at 04:03 PM.