View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 09:56 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Reflections on 1949 BOWMAN's (25 HOFers, many Rookies)...show-N-tell us of your cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
Thanks Ted, and thanks for this thread. I love this set. It's my favorite and I have been collecting it for the past few years. I am nearing completion of a PSA graded set, and I have a bunch of extras of my favorite players, as well as some signed ones, some gray variations, some partial sheet scraps, etc. Next frontier after finishing the 252-card portion of the set is to get the crème and gray variations of the first 72. What a great set to collect!

Tony

Your welcome, Tony....it's my pleasure. The 1949 BOWMAN set is my favorite post-WWII set.

The first colorized BB cards I collected in my youth were the 1949 LEAF's. LEAF's 1st series cards were available before the 1949 BOWMAN's.
And, we were thrilled to open a LEAF pack to find Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Ted Williams, Stan Musial, Jackie Robinson, etc.
Furthermore, the LEAF's were great for "flipping" and/or "scaling".

Then, about a month (or so) later, the 1949 BOWMAN cards were available at our Candy stores. The BOWMAN's included Yankees players that
were not in the LEAF's......like Yogi Berra, Tommy Henrich, Allie Reynolds, Eddie Lopat, and many more. So, I favored the BOWMAN cards.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 01-04-2020 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Corrected typo.