View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 12:05 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
David, by 1972 Mr. Carter owned just about every vintage baseball card he wanted. His wants were minuscule, and tough to find. He bought the far majority of his collection for pennies apiece, as well as got many of them for a penny apiece out of the wrapper. In 1972, the organised adult collecting hobby was just beginning to sprout. It grew exponentially each year, and the prices quickly shot up as new collectors were willing to pay more and more for these beautiful old baseball cards. Well, Mr. Carter didn't feel inclined to pay those ever-increasing prices. Perhaps five-ten bucks a card was his max. After paying a few pennies apiece for most of them; well, you can imagine his disinterest. He could well afford them, mind you, but chose not to participate in the craving frenzy buying mania that was going on.

As far as his selling common Topps and even a few send away 1961 Post Cereal for a few pennies each in 1972, he wrote that he liked to help young collectors---as I was at that 1972 show. I still have some of those cherished '61 Post Cereal I purchased from Mr. Carter during that glorious weekend of my first major show!

A few weeks afterwards, Mr. Carter sent me a photocopy of the article he published in SPORT FAN, thinking I might enjoy reading it, since he shared our brief encounter over his gorgeous 1959 Bazooka Bubble Gum Mickey Mantle. Indeed, I devoured every word, and still treasure that document to this day. I will never forget how Lionel Carter helped me, and taught me so much about cards and our hobby, those many years ago.

He even invited to his home to see his massive collection, which I accepted. I was privileged to thoroughly enjoy a couple visits to see Mr. Carter's great collection. It looked so cool, carefully mounted in albums.

Years later, in about 1981, I recalled one of the few T-206s I had was distinctly better than Mr. Carter's. Remembering how much he'd helped me, and our years of correspondence, I sent him my Harry Krause, as a token of gratitude, friendship and kindness. A week later, Mr. Carter sent Harry right back to me, thanked me, but told me he never accepted gifts of cards from other collectors. He added that I will at least be able to say I have one card better than one in Lionel Carter's collection. Mr. Carter was something else; a man of very strong principles, as well as opinions. His opinions were usually spot-on.

Wow. Thanks for hanging in there with this the long remembrance on Mr. Carter. I hope you weren't bored.

I appreciate it that you uploaded this for the lads and lasses. ---Brian Powell
Brian, thanks for sharing your memories -- they weren't boring at all! I didn't realize that one of the collectors Carter mentioned in this piece was on Net54 and reading it. That's very cool. I have a lot more of his writings, and will be posting more of them as I have time.