View Single Post
Old 11-20-2020, 03:09 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

I just read Glory of their Times for the first time - really enjoyed it (loved how the player prose of the time was still intact)

Any idea where to find and watch the documentary version? A couple of folks have mentioned it - would love to see that

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
Seems to me that what each of us thinks of as the 'best' reflects a bit of where our interests lay.

For me,

1- The Glory of Their Times. It's part time machine back to the 1900's, giving life to those names on the white border tobacco cards, and the style of the production with Mr. Scourby narrating; and a time machine that takes me back to when I was a kid watching TV while I lay in the floor watching lots of documentaries, National Geographic and the like. Good pick HankPhenom

2. When It Was A Game... I like watching the wonderful swing of Lou Gehrig, listening to Enos Slaughter whining about some rookie trying to take his job, learning about the players leaving their gloves on the field at the end of a half inning... I could have done without the segments about the clowning.

I've not seen Fastball. I did see the the spring training documentary narrated by Billy Bob Thornton. If / when COVID is gone, I want to go visit and nose around in Hot Springs for a few days.

Mr. Burns' Baseball... It not just about baseball. Parts of it I liked, and could watch again and again. And for parts of it, one viewing was enough.

I have that Boys of Summer VHS tape... I reckon I should dig around and find it somewhere, and try to copy it to DVD.