View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Rob,
I hear what you’re saying. The make up of the pennant, the one dimensional player / rusher, and the size and tassel location are all common to that 30’s to early 40’s era. I believe there is an exact New York Giants football pennant with this design.

In regards to the pink runner, both of the B&W are classic early 50’s designs. Yes, bootleg pennant producers did use older styles and adapted their one color productions for 60’s teams. Those pennants are generally very difficult to find. So, it’s possible the two runners with stiff arm are newer, but I’m guessing early 50’s ish.

The reason with the one with pink that I called the newest is because of the pink. Hot pink did not really come to favor until the late 50’s early 60’s. It was very popular mid to late 60’s.

I’m open to other info so if someone has more info I’m all ears. Take care, Jason
The polychromatic (usually pink) player design was created by Trench and used as late as ca. 1965, when this Notre Dame pennant below was produced. I don't believe they used this design very often; or for very long. He's pretty cool, I have to admit (even though Notre Dame never wore blue/pink unis).

Interesting discussion about the punter player design with the stadium and flags behind. This one too was used by Trench; and, as was noted above, Trench used this design from the 1940s through 1960 or so. I had never noticed the variations in the flags across the decades--good observation!

I'm in agreement that the oldest design of those Santa Clara pennants is likely the running back running directly into the viewer. I think this one may be an early design by WGN that they used in the early 1940s, or earlier. It's definitely old.

The most interesting design, for me, is that left handed player stiff arm design. I wish I could tell you who made it. Whoever they were, they were huge, as that design can be seen on so many collegiate and professional football pennants from the 1940s. They're always monochrome; tassel-less; and full size.

And, this same mystery manufacturer also made MLB pennants throughout the 1940s that embody the same characteristics. Like this pair of Brooklyn Dodgers pennants from the AAFC and NL....

Whoever they were, they made a lot of pennants for many teams, leagues, etc. throughout the 1940s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (6).jpg (19.2 KB, 380 views)
File Type: jpg image (11).jpg (17.5 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg image (12).jpg (13.7 KB, 387 views)