View Single Post
Old 01-17-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast1933 View Post
Great... how can I get started? What would you experienced collectors advise in terms of what to look for?
- era to explore first?
- cover art matters a lot, I'd assume?
- how do you evaluate condition and reasonable price/value?
- big name player in the score card and/or a specific historic game adds a lot, i'd assume?
- scorecards vs. programs vs. yearbooks... where to focus first?
I still love my cards... but this sounds like a nice, affordable tangent to explore
Thanks all (and if you're selling some cool items, PM me!) I love great cover illustrations
Those are also some good questions. I think it's like a few have already said: Everyone is gonna be different. For me, this is my "great wide open" of collecting. Generally I buy what strikes my fancy (sometimes I buy for the covers, sometimes for the historic event, sometimes for a player, and always from the games that I go to). But for me, condition and eye appeal don't figure prominently into my decision to buy, even though those factors might figure prominently for my card or even ticket purchases.

I prefer my scorecards to be scored, but I think there are some purists that prefer unscored minty scorecards, though admittedly it's difficult to then track them to specific games unless the dates are printed on the scorecards themselves. One such scorecard with a date listed is shown below. Not very pretty, but one of my faves, because it's from the game in which a future home run king hit his first home run!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6722.JPG (98.4 KB, 479 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6725.JPG (113.1 KB, 469 views)