Thread: 10s
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 04:36 PM
Shain

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
PSA will point out the flaws if you send the card in for review. Beckett used to provide 4 subgrades, but got away from that model for vintage and is trying to phase it out on modern (by making it much more expensive), while SGC plans to release their grading notes online so you can see why the card graded what it did.
Are you saying they have a separate service where they just review? I just submitted 18 cards for grading for my first time ever. A 1958 Hank Aaron came back "altered" but no further info. A 1985 Topps McGwire came back "Authentic?" and also not slabbed with no additional info. A 2001 SP Authentic Pujols rookie came back a 6 where was graded a 9 by another grader. A 2003 Robinson Cano RC came back a 4! LOL! Oops..

Granted I'm pretty new the hobby and have a lot to learn, especially concerning submitting cards for grading. But, there wasn't a single explanation as to why any of my cards received the grade (or lack thereof) they did. I submitted several 2003/2005 rookie cards which came back 8 when I believed they were 9's/maybe 10's and I submitted a 1999 Bowman C.C. Sabathia rookie which I thought was an 8/9 at best due to some very slight roughing at edges, it came back Gem MT 10!!

How do you go about getting PSA to quantify/qualify their grades with an explanation? Also, do you recommend a resource that goes into great detail about how to assess cards so I can learn to become a better grader on my own?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk