View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 03:26 PM
John Donovan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
It's a beautiful card, but the prices for everything nice are jumping so fast it's hard to keep up. Looking at past auction results from just a few months ago doesn't even seem to be relevant anymore. Prices are crazy right now.
I suppose. I guess I just can't quite come to terms with the fact that MAYBE the market really is that hot right now.

It's possible that there are just a LOT of new collectors with a LOT of money looking to build collections and invest.

But it's also possible there are a smaller number of people manipulating the market.

I mean, if you really wanted that card and were willing to pay almost $40,000, wouldn't you at least try to snipe it in the last minute instead of run the price up days before? This feels too much like a blatant, public attempt to run the price up of that card.

Also, to be clear, I'm not trying to implicate PWCC of any wrongdoing here. It could be legit bidding, or it could be manipulated by any number of others from the consigner, to a couple random guys that are sitting on a stack of 1952 Bowman Mantles trying to run the price up and then benefit over the coming months by slowly selling off their Mantles.