View Single Post
Old 03-19-2023, 02:42 PM

The 1978 Topps Philadelphia Phillies

There are 30 Phillie images in the 1978 set, excluding the Cardenal paint job and including the paint jobs of Underwood, Bosetti and Nahorodny.

The team photo was taken outside Veterans' Stadium during 7/1-7/7, 7/12-7/17 or 7/29-8/11 - these were homestands between Dave Johnson's return from the DL and Dan Warthen's demotion, and Garry Maddox' trip to the DL on 8/13.

The black and white image of Danny Ozark was taken either when he was with the Olean Oilers in 1942 or the Omaha Dodgers in 1961. From the looks of the image I'd have to say it was 1942.

Many pictures were taken at the Phil's training facility, Jack Russell Stadium in Clearwater. This includes many players wearing away uniforms - probably they were suited up for an intrasquad game: Bowa, Harmon, Sizemore, Boone, Carlton, Carlton LL, Martin, Brusstar, Johnson, Schmidt, McGraw, Reed, Maddox, Johnstone, Kaat, Christenson, Underwood and Bosetti.

Several images are from Candlestick either 4/29-5/1 or 7/21-7/23: Hebner, Ozark, McBride and Foote (McBride and Foote would have been taken in July - neither was with the club for the first west coast trip).

Jim Lonborg was also snapped in Candlestick, but his image was captured 7/21, the only game he appeared in there in 1977 - he started and got the W in the Phil's 9-6 victory.

A few were taken at Shea during 6/3-6/5, 6/27-6/29 or 9/7-9/8: Garber, McCarver, Hutton and Luzinski. Lerch was take there either 6/5 or 6/27 - the only two times he pitched there.

Nahorodny was photographed in Shea, but between 9/3-9/5 in 1976, as he didn't make the Phil's roster at any time in 1977.

A final note - the Phillies team picture always has struck me as odd - as if the photographer snapped it a few seconds before warning them - Luzinski talking to Davey Johnson, Bake McBride picking his nose, and several others looking away from the camera. Well, I found this image on line and it seems I was right - Topps got the early shot to use for the card and THIS shot is the one the team used for other purposes:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (206.2 KB, 162 views)