View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Clean Sweep Auctions

This is not a knock on Clean Sweep or Steve in any way; just a strange story regarding an item I consigned a few years ago. I had an unopened 1959 Topps cello pack with Roger Maris on the back that I consigned to Clean Sweep Auctions. The pack was ungraded. It eventually sold for a very good price. Before I received payment for the pack, Steve contacted me to say that the winning bidder was having it graded and I would not get payment until the winner received the results of the grade. I really wasn't that concerned, because I was confident the pack was good. Well, the pack came back "resealed" from GAI. The winning bidder sent the pack back to Steve who, in turn, returned it to me, along with the documentation from GAI (I believe the pack had sold for around $700). Later, I took the pack to a major card show and had a national dealer take a look at it. It was his opinion that the pack WAS good and he was so sure that he offered me about $300 for it. I ended up selling him the pack for just over that amount. Lo-and-behold, about 6 months later I see that very pack in the dealer's catalog auction IN a GAI holder. The pack ended up selling for around $800. In other dealings with Steve and Clean Sweep, I have found them to be friendly and upfront.