View Single Post
Old 02-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default WOW! T206 Wagner PSA graded.

Posted By: Dennis W.

First off I agree with Barry when he says how dangerous this item is to the hobby. Next a few observations from both a software engineer/graphics designer (15+ years) perspective and that of a collector.

The label, the reverse of the label and the hologram would be a snap to reproduce exactly. I was tempted to describe exactly how I'd do it then I realized I could be creating a blueprint for any dishonest lurker. So I won't. The real problem with this is the holder. I really don't think this is a crack job. Those things are impossible to open without damaging the plastic. The equipment needed to slab cards cost thousands, so I doubt anybody went out and paid that to slab reprints. Also, I'm confident it's not a PSA holder. If you look at the "tabs" around the perimeter of the slab it don't match the scan that Hal posted of a real PSA slab.

My conclusion is that someone that works for one of the lesser known grading companies slabbed that for somebody for $100 or two maybe after hours on the sly.

The only thing that would have been more "dangerous" would have been if they did it for a lesser value expensive card that wouldn't draw as much attention. A PSA 9 Cobb portrait for example, that they didn't admit was a reprint. Scary stuff.