View Single Post
Old 12-08-2022, 06:36 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
The thing that bothers me the most about this whole PPP business (and to echo what was said by a previous poster), is the fact that many were using the money for nefarious means. I have zero issues with the businesses that used the money as intended, to keep their small businesses afloat, but using it to buy cards or luxury items should have come with repercussions.

The free money given out by the government was an issue as well. Too many people qualified for the stimulus checks. For frame of reference both of my parents received checks. They're both retired and did more than well enough in their careers to not need this money. Hell I received a stimulus check and I have a decently paying career.

Worst of all is many of the vintage cards whose value was bumped up by the pandemic, and will never come down. To preface what I'm about to say, I'm very happy for everyone, that their collection grew in monetary value, I hold nothing against you. When collecting on a budget, you save a little bit of money to the side for your purchases. A 1952 Mantle in an Authentic or 1 went from a "somewhat realistic possibility in a few years with saving" to "Not a shot in hell until I retire" because the card almost tripled in value. Thankfully, collecting is a journey, but damn can it be disheartening at times.
First of all, the basic dictionary definition of "nefarious" is typically some action or activity that is wicked or criminal. So, are you saying that someone whose business ended up profiting more than expected due to their eligibility for receiving a PPP loan, and then using that additional profit to go out and buy say a '52 Topps Mantle card, was doing something "wicked" or "criminal" as a result?

Secondly, in regards to "free money" given out to many who ended up not necessarily needing it, you also referred to it using the term "stimulus money". In addition to providing support and relief to individuals and businesses in need, I always thought the additional or secondary purpose of these loans and other payments was in fact to get excess money in people's hands so they would end up spending it on things they may not have otherwise, so as to actually be a stimulant to our overall economy and help keep it from tanking in the midst of the pandemic. You actually refer to it as "stimulus money", but then seem to denigrate some of those people and businesses that used and spent it as the government fully intended, to help stimulate and maintain our economy.

The people/businesses that should be chastised, investigated, and prosecuted where applicable, are those that lied about their eligibility for and/or otherwise falsified their applications for PPP loans, or their subsequent requests and filings for PPP loan forgiveness.