View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Hmmm, most of the collectors I see at shows are probably under 40 and many even younger. Though they might not be looking at vintage cards.... yet. A poll from within a group of predominantly vintage card collectors is not a good basis for predicting future collectors. It's just a snapshot of where we are and taken only from within a subset of a larger group. I'd be more concerned that younger collectors are not looking at baseball cards, but rather basketball or some other sport (or Pokemon).

It doesn't take a large percentage of card collectors to maintain interest in a small percentage of the card collecting realm (ie vintage). It's from the level of interest in baseball cards as a whole. The future is more related to whether they are into the cards or into the money that can be made as well as related to the level of interest in baseball in general. I do think that set collecting though for baseball cards will eventually go the way of the basketball card market, but I think that will also correlate to how baseball is being marketed.

Similar to other collecting areas (comics, books, records, dolls, cars, etc), people usually get introduced to current items. Those who continue to remain collectors usually work their way backwards.
Taylor,

My point is about young VINTAGE collectors. Yes, most of the crowd at a show is young, but I see very few with an interest in vintage. It's more recent and it's more driven by making money as opposed to completing sets or building a collection.

You can theorize that the 20 year olds now will get into vintage, my point is did the 20 year olds of 10 years ago? I'm not seeing evidence that they did, nor that they are now

Bob