View Single Post
Old 06-03-2023, 09:43 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Ted, I'm with ya, regarding "off-backs"...they've just always been known as "rare backs" to me.

Here's a few more...
The "Off Backs" term started being used around the same time I started using the "No Print" term, mid 2014. Both kinda confusing, especially if you were to ask a person with no baseball card knowledge, what they thought the terms meant. I honestly didn't think "No Print" would stick around, but then PSA started using the exact term. I came up with it as a partial phrase that T206resource would use, when they would say a card is a Probable No Print, meaning, possible but not likely. The actual "No Print" cards are listed on T206resource as just "No", so since I found them, they were not Probable, and they were not No, so I just used "No Print" to describe them.

As far as "Off Backs", in the early 2010's, there was me and one other person that was activly working on a set of T206's with no Piedmont or Sweet Caporal backs. Everyone else was still adding Piedmont's and Sweet Caporal's to their 520 set. There were a few single back collectors, like Ted with his Sovereign's, and a few others. I want to say it was Scott, who was the other collector of the non Piedmont and Sweet Caporal back set. But it was a while ago, and with so many collector's, I can't remember. Nowadays, there is a decent sized group of collectors, especially on Facebook's Tobacco Row, that build the "Off Back sets, usually raw, in binders. I never got into the binders for the original T206's.

I hope this help's with at least an origin and timeline of the terms, even if they were not thought out at the time.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11