View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Default GAI Slabbed Fro Joys

Posted By: Paul

I suspect that there's photoengraved reprints out there. I've collected & handled many Fro Joys over the years, & I recently did a side by side comparison of two portrait cards that were both photoengraved. The card stock & ink looked the same under the microscope, but only one of them gave me that warm & fuzzy feeling of being authentic. It had slightly better clarity, & just triggered that instinct we develop over the years. Also, I talked to Danny Fisher from GAI a couple years ago when they would not grade Fro Joy's. He told me that in the past they would send some of them out to somebody else for another opinion, & then they stopped grading them because it was too big of a hastle. I asked him if there were photoengraved reprints, & he said there were. That is the only rational explanation why grading companies would have difficulty in determining authenticity in my opinion. Yes they can be authenticated, but that person needs to have handled many Fro Joys. Just my opinion. Any other opinions out there?