View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Default when and how did you start?

Posted By: Robert

I started collecting when I was about 11 years old in Los Angeles. I loved the Big Red Machine and my dad was from the Bronx and used to sneak into Yankee stadium as a kid in the early 40's. He told me about those great players and we got books about the history of baseball, so I became obsessed with the old timers more so then the players of the day. That summer we went to N.Y. and my dad took me on a trip to Coperstown where I really got hooked. I used to work for him in the summers and got $50.00 a week and every Saturdeay I would take a bus to ACME, owned by Goody and buy cards of only Hall of Famers, Cobbs, Matty's, Johnsons where all $4 or $5, Gehrigs and Ruth where $25. I would look in my books and read about players and go and ask for them and buy them. After my Bar Mitzvah my dad let me buy $2000 worth of cards and I picked up a T206 Plank for $150. I still have them all in a safety deposit box about 2000 cards in all. Maybe one day I will sell but not in the near future. I only wish I knew about all of the error cards and tried set collecting. I probably could of gotten T206 commos for less then $1.00 each. Oh well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.